OTL101 Reflections

• Take a look back through your previous posts and apply the ‘Showcase’ category to your best work.
    • Write a few words about why you think that post or those posts stand out.
  • I would say Post 2 stands out the most as I had a very simplistic view point on the matter being questioned.  After reading just a few articles and reflecting on those, it is clear that becoming a great teacher requires a lot of “extra time” devoted to professional development and that there are many aspects that need to be considered in this job.  I found reading some of the expectations placed on teachers quite overwhelming simply because I am already working full-time.  As I wait for the course I will be teaching with TRU to launch and evolve, I am having to juggle a fair amount.  I look forward to being able to drop some of my current work and devote more time and energy to this.
  • What are 2-3 of the most important ideas that you have studied during this course?

One is what I have mentioned above.  Just the realization that recognition that there is a lot to learn and understand aside from course content.   The other idea that I feel stands out is that assessing student integration of information is considered to be quite challenging. This was not my experience when I supervised students in their practicum placements at another educational setting.  Maybe this is due to the fact that my comfort and expertise is in the profession and field I was teaching and supervising.  I found that the layout of the course requirements and then meeting with students and their site practicum supervisors to lend itself well to good assessment and evaluation of how students were integrating the information they attained in their courses. I am also curious if me teaching some of the courses also helped aid in my assessment/evaluations.

• What are 2-3 questions that you have as a result of this course? Identify ways that you can begin to answer those questions.

One would be how other part time instructors who are already juggling other careers, find the time to further educate themselves on teaching.  I can simply ask other online instructors, which I have actually already started doing.

The second would be, how other instructors assess student integration.  Again, I can simply ask the question.

• Identify 2-3 specific goals that you would like to achieve in light of what you have learned about cognitive presence, approaches to learning, and feedback;
    • make sure that your goals are SMART,
    • identify strategies you intend to use in order to meet your goals.

I feel like the above question and answers also reflect my goals.  As for a time line, I really believe that this type of learning is life long and ongoing but I can certainly find some answers to the above questions within the next month.

3 thoughts on “OTL101 Reflections

• July 25, 2016 at 1:29 am
    Permalink

One would be how other part time instructors who are already juggling other careers, find the time to further educate themselves on teaching. I can simply ask other online instructors, which I have actually already started doing.

Juggling work, teaching, learning and family is a challenge for me, but it also helps me to empathize with the adult learners I am working with. Things go sideways and I try to support learners when this happens. For example, if someone ‘disappears’ from the course for more than 6 days, I send an email asking if they are OK and if they need any extra time to complete the course work. I also ask learners to let me know if they are experiencing challenges with time management so I can help them.

As for me, I try to log on every morning before work to see if anything needs immediate attention. Then, I log on again at least one more time each day to respond to posts, emails, and questions. I work on weekends, because that is when most learners are working. I also work when I travel because learners expect me to be online every day. If I am going to take the weekend (or a day) off, I let them know. I am pretty disciplined about setting aside time to be online daily. I hope this is helpful.

• July 25, 2016 at 2:56 am
      Permalink

Hi Georgann,
      Thanks for the response and sharing your experience. This is helpful. I like the idea of the regular morning check in and one more daily check in towards the end of the day. Likely very helpful to have those set times established and then they will become part of the daily routine. Much appreciated.

• July 27, 2016 at 9:21 pm
    Permalink

Hi Georgann, Your post made me smile with recognition. Every August I think about the MASSIVE teaching workload that lies ahead in September. I find myself vowing every year to cut back and take better care of myself. But then I see just how well each student responds to one-on-one attention and all my self-care good intentions melt away. You are right, supporting students and making those connections take a lot of work. But don’t forget about all those beautiful “teachable moments” that will come your way and make your investment of time seem worth it. Good luck in your new course!